Friday, December 02, 2011

Is Holiday Weight Gain Avoidable?
Earlier today, while shopping at one of those big warehouse stores, I passed a woman in an apron, handing out tiny little white cups to everyone who walked by. She was confident in her sales pitch, “We’re all gonna get fat in the next 27 days! If you drink this it’ll help you burn more calories and you’ll only get half as fat!”
It made me laugh, but I also couldn’t help but think that this kind of resignation is at the core of our biggest health challenges today. The irony of living in the “Information Age”, with limitless access to information 24 hours a day, seven days a week, is that we have stopped seeking answers from within. If we are constantly bombarded with images of gorgeous models savoring chocolate kisses, the “seasonal coffees” are loaded with sugary syrup and whipped cream, and Santa prefers soda to milk, then it’s easy to see how we might “slip a little” (or a lot) during the holidays.
Over the years, I have certainly done more than my fair share of over-indulging at Christmas. My mom always spent the first two weeks of December making cookies and confections, and we spent the last two weeks eating them. There were at least a dozen different kinds of sweet treats ~ everything from pecan “wedding cakes”, to fudge and snickerdoodles ~ stunning in their presentation, and impossible to resist. My favorite was her iced cutout cookies. I could not stay away from them. I’ll never forget the tone of her voice, as she reminded me to “save some from others.”
These traditions, celebrations, and homemade treats are a big part of my Christmas memories, and I treasure them. However, by the time I had my own family, I had made radical changes to my relationship with food. I discovered that sugar, gluten, dairy, and animal products were the cause of daily migraines, and I became an advocate for plant-based diets. Because I finally understand the impacts food can have on our well-being, Christmas at our home is very different than the holidays I grew up with. I have kept the iced cutout tradition alive, but it is the only baking tradition I have continued with our kids. Instead, we focus on the amazing vegetables of the winter season, and experiment with new ways to enjoy pumpkin and butternut squash. My kids love brussel sprouts (they call them “alien brains”), and seem to appreciate the logic behind the culinary choices we make. We still probably enjoy more sweets in December than the rest of the year, but we keep the servings small, and teach our kids that one cookie is enough.
It is important to break bread (and cookies) with friends and family during the holidays, but it doesn’t mean we have to get fat and lethargic in the process. Below are a few questions to keep in mind before you reach for that irresistible Christmas confection:
1) Is it really food? Was it made with fresh and pure ingredients? Or is it filled with additives and dyes, and processed into oblivion? Becoming a connoisseur of baked goods and candy makes it easier to resist the ones that really aren’t worth the calories or the hangover.
2) Could I just eat half? If you just can’t say no to the delicacy before you, accept the plate with a smile, and savor two or three bites. Then hand it to a friend, or put it in the trash. Remember that the first few bites deliver the most satisfaction, but after that, sweets are doing more harm then good. When it comes to alcohol, less really can be more, especially if you already have a lot of sugar in your system. The double whammy of Christmas cookies and wine can make hangovers worse, and even cause some depression.
3) How will this make me feel? Personally, the fear of gaining weight never really prevented me from over-indulging at the holidays. It was only when I paid attention to how I felt after those indulgences, that I could finally walk away from the dessert table. I realized that I had more control over my well-being than I thought, and 100 extra grams of sugar today, would make me miserable in the morning.
4) What is this replacing? Knowing that it is impossible to avoid the treats of the season---they are everywhere--try to reduce your normal sugar and gluten intake in other areas to balance out your diet. If you enjoy that piece of candy, could you use stevia, instead of sugar, in your next cup of coffee? Could you skip that routine afternoon soda? Or could you choose a salad for lunch instead of that ham and cheese sandwich? If you fill up on water, vegetables, and lean protein throughout the day, your body will be more prepared to handle cookies, cakes and candies that can knock us out of balance during the holidays.
The secret to keeping your health in balance throughout the holidays lies in greater awareness, forethought, and self-control. You don’t have to resign yourself to skipping the dessert table...go ahead and enjoy your favorite holiday treats! Just keep them in perspective, make an effort to stay balanced, and remember that an ounce of control today can make it easier to enjoy your tomorrows.

Amber Barry is a certified yoga instructor, wellness coach, motivational speaker, public school advocate and founder of Come On, Get Healthy! She lives in Atlanta, GA, with her husband and three daughters, and shares her adventures in wellness on the Come On, Get Healthy! Facebook page (like us!).

1 comment:

Conroy Crew said...

I'm headed to THREE holiday parties today.....I will definitely keep your suggestions/tips in mind and try to keep myself in check! Great article.